- US Port Capacity, Journal of Commerce Annual Review & Outlook
- Gaza Port's – a New Direction (3.75), Concept Paper, for US-Based Think Tank, 2016. PDF
- Long-Term Developments of US Ports' Channels, Journal of Commerce Annual Review & Outlook
- Rodrigue, JP and Ashar, A. (2015) 'Transshipment hubs in the New Panamax Era: The role of
the Caribbean', Journal of Transport
Geography, October 2015
- Devolution of US Ports' Channels, Journal of Commerce Annual Review & Outlook
- Impact of Panama Canal and American Marine Highway
Journal of Commerce Annual Review & Outlook 2014.PDF
https://www.joc.com/maritime-news/annual-review-outlook-2014-national-ports-waterways-initiative-university-new-orleans_20140103.html Expanded version published in Container Management, March
- Dredging - Key Factor for US Container Port Call
Today.com, Aug 30, 2013.PDF
- Coastal Shipping and Jones Act, The Journal of Commerce Annual Review & Outlook
2013, February 2013. PDF http://www.joc.com/maritime-news/short-sea-shipping/annual-review-outlook-2013-national-ports-and-waterways-initiative-university-new-orleans_20130207
- Alternative Development Plan for Chile's Region V
Ports, Proceedings of Sonar
Valparaiso, April 2012.PDF
- Revised Fourth Revolution -- Long-Term Trends in
Port Technology International, Fifty-Fifth Edition, October 2012 pp. 77-93 (expanded version). PDF, WolrdCargo,
March 2013 PDF,
- Marine Highway's New Direction (US Short-Sea
Journal of Commerce,
Commentary, November 21, 2011 pp. 38-39. PDF
- Paying for Benefits (Modifying the Pricing System for
Deep Port Channels),
The Journal of Commerce,
Commentary, January 23, 2011 p. 23. PDF
- AAPA Rebuttal,
January 31, 2011 PDF Response,
February 2, 2011 PDF
- Kent, P. and Ashar, A. (2010) ‘Performance Indicators
for Regulators’, Proceedings of International
Journal of Maritime Economics (IJME) Conference, Lisbon, July
- An Expanding Brief, (Impact of Panama Canal
July 2010, pp.27 - 28. PDF
- The Impact of Panama Canal Expansion, Proceedings
of TOC Americas 2009, November 2009.PDF
- Alternative Development Plan for Central Chile Ports,
Proceedings of TOC Americas 2009, November 2009.PDF
- De-Intermodlization of the
Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, Containerization
International, July 2009 and The Journal of Commerce, April 15,
2009 (short version). PDF
- The Inevitability of Change, Interview in Container
Management, Latin American Edition, November 2008. PDF
- New Era in Container Shipping (Port of Prince Rupert), The Journal of Commerce, March 3, 2008. PDF
§ Executive Commentary: Feedering USEC Ports following Panama
Canal Expansion, The Journal of
Commerce, 2007 Annual Edition,
January 2008. PDF
- Future Trends in West Coast South America Shipping
Pattern, Proceedings of TOC Americas 2007,
November 2007. PDF
- Sounding Off: All Water Suez vs. Panama, Containerization
International, August 2007, pp. 72. PDF
- Executive Viewpoint: Short Sea Shipping in the US, The
Journal of Commerce 2006 Annual Edition, December 2006. PDF
- Revolution #4,
International, December 2006, pp. 46 – 48. PDF
- Pure Fast Freight Ferries for Coastal Shipping in the
US, Proceedings of the JOC
Short Sea Conference, May 2003 and June 2000. 2004 PDF, 2000 PDF
- Toward New ART Form, WorldCargo, March 2004, pp.
- Long-Term Development of US Ports, TRB Conference on Marine Transportation System,
Washington DC, November 2004. PDF
- Reversal of Fortune, Long-Term Forecast for US Ports, Containerization International, January
2004, pp. 58-61. A summary was also published in WorldCargo,
March 2004. PDF
- User Charges for Port Cost Recovery: the US Harbor
Tax Controversy, Maritime Economics &
Logistics, Volume IV, No 5, March 2003. PDF
- Revolution Now,
Containerization International, January 2002, pp. 56-59. PDF
- Pure Fast Freight Ferries for Coastal Services in the
US, Proceedings of the Ro/Ro
2002 Conference, June 2002. A summary was also published in Le Lloyd Anversois, Paris, France, June 31, 2002.
- Intermodal, Rail Connection between the West Bank and
Gaza, Interview in Maariv,
Weekend Magazine, March 30, 2001 (in Hebrew).PDF
- US Ports’ Capacity and Capability, Proceedings of the Marine Transportation System,
Research and Technology Conference, TRB / Marine Board (National Academy
of Science), Washington DC, November 2001.
- Comments to: Technological and Economic Implications
of Mega-Container Carriers by Hans Payer, Proceedings of Society for Naval Architects and
Marine Engineers (SNAME), September 2001.
- Defining Criteria for Transshipment Hub Ports, Proceedings of Terminal Operations Conference (TOC)
America 2001 Conference, September 2001.
- Strategic Pricing In Newly Privatized Ports,
International Journal of Maritime Economics (IJME), Volume
III, No1, March 2001. PDF
- Kent, P. and Ashar, A. (2001) ‘Port Competition
Regulation: A Tool for Monitoring for Anti-Competitive Behavior’, International
Journal of Maritime Economics (IJME), Volume III, No1, March
- A New Revolution Rebuttal, Containerization International, April 2001,
p. 4. PDF
- Fast Coastal Ferries in the U.S., Proceedings
of the 17th Fast Ferry Conference, March 2001.
- The Impact of the Fourth Revolution on Latin America, Proceedings
of Latin Ports 2000 Conference, November 2000.
- The Prospects for the Yangshan
Port in Shanghai,
Proceedings of the
Terminal Operations Conference (TOC) 2000, May 2000.
- The Fourth Revolution and Transshipment Potentials
for Panama Ports Port Productivity, Proceedings
of the Terminal Operations Conference (TOC) 2000, May 2000.
- The Prospects for Revival of Coastal Shipping in the
U.S., Proceedings of the
Permanent International Navigation Association Conference (PIANC) 2000,
- The Fourth Revolution, Containerization International, December
1999, pp. 57 - 61; and 2020 Vision, Containerization International,
January 2000, pp. 35 - 39. Excerpts of the papers were published in: (a)
Mundo Maritimo and El Universal, Panama, February
2000; (b) American
Association of Port Authorities Advisory, March 13, 2000;
(c) The Journal of
Commerce, June 5, 2000; (d) Traffic World, June 12, pp. 36 - 37;
(e) The Journal of
Commerce, June 19, 2000; (f) Cargo Systems, June 2000; (g) IFW, International
Freighting Weekly, March 5, 2001; and (h) Proceedings of
IFEC, International Port Executives Conference, 2002.
- Port Productivity: a new Emphasis in the Era of
Concessions, Distribucion Fisica,
No. 22, May 1999, Lima, Peru (together with G. Ayzanoa).
- Long Term Trends in Container Shipping: Equatorial
Round-The-World Services and their Impact on European Ports, Proceedings
of the VIII Congress of Maritime Transport and Ports, The
Ports of Spain, November 1999.
- Long Term Trends in Container Shipping: Equatorial
Round-The-World Services and their Impact on European Ports,
Proceedings of the VIII Congress of Maritime Transport and Ports, The
Ports of Spain, November 1999.
- Long Term Trend in Container Shipping: The Emergence
of Equatorial Round-The-World Services and Pure Transshipment Ports, Proceedings of the Terminal Operations Conference
(TOC) 99, June 1999.
- Misunderstanding the Harbor Tax, The
Journal of Commerce, May 26, 1999.
- A Standard Ship Handling (Stevedoring) Contract, Proceeding of the Containerport
& Terminal Performance in the Intermodal Chain Conference,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, February 1999. A modified version of the
paper, titled Units
of Measurement for Productivity and Indicators of Productivity
was included in the book Container
Terminal Productivity, Cargo Systems, IIR Publications,
London, U.K., June 1999.
- Coastal Shipping of Containers and Trailers in the
U.S., Proceeding of Permanent
International Association of Navigation Congress (PIANC), The Hague, The
Netherlands, July 1998.
- Counting the Moves, Port
Development International (PDI), November 1997, pp. 25 - 29.
- Port Productivity Revisited, Proceeding of Terminal Operators Conference (TOC)
97, Barcelona, Spain, June 1997. Part 1 PDF , Part 2 PDF
- The Impact of Dredging/Not-Dredging New York Harbor, Transportation
Quarterly, ENO Transportation Foundation, winter 1997.
Reprints were requested and sent to over 30 ports and transportation
organizations in the USA. Part
1 PDF , Part 2 PDF , Part
- Freight Components in Louisiana's Statewide
Intermodal Transportation Plan, Transportation Planning and Land Use at
State, Regional, and Local Levels,
Transportation Research Record No. 1552, Washington D.C., November 1996.
- Evolution in Transshipment Patterns in Containerized
Trade and the Emerging Hub Ports,
Proceeding of Terminal Operators Conference (TOC) 96, Hamburg, Germany,
- Freight Components in Louisiana's Statewide
Intermodal Transportation Plan,
Transportation Research Board 1996 Proceeding, Washington D.C., January
1996 (with C. Appfel, A. Hochstein, K. Horn and
- The Potential for Small Containerships, Commercial Shipbuilding USA Conference Proceeding
1995, Marine Log, Washington D.C., December 1995.
- Maritime System of the Americas Study, Permanent International Association of Navigation
Congress (PIANC), 1995 (with A. Hochstein and R. McLaughlin).
- Factor Analysis and Benchmarking Port's Performance, Maritime
Policy & Management, University of Wales Publication,
United Kingdom, vol. 22, no. 4, 1995.PDF1 PDF2
- Maritime vs. Land Transport Systems between
Mid-America and Mexico,
The Journal of the
Transportation Research Forum, Volume 36, Number 1, 1996,
pp. 1 - 16.
- Stock and Flow Methodology for Calculating Capacity
of Cargo Transfer Terminals,
Proceeding of Second Annual Conference on Transportation Management,
Sate University of New York, Maritime College, May 1995 (with G.
- Maritime System of the Americas Study, PIANC
Bulletin, No 87, 1995, pp. 28 - 35 (with A. Hochstein and R.
Shipping for Domestic Freight, WWS/Worldwide Shipping,
January 1995, pp. 28-29. An earlier version of the paper was: (a)
presented to the National Commission of International Transportation of
the U.S. Congress, May 1994; and (b) circulated among all members of
U.S. Congress by Congressman James Traficant (D-IL) of the Committee on
Public Works and Transportation as a Media Advisory, November 1994.
Excerpts of this article also appeared in The Journal of Commerce (January
Maritime (January 1995),
Inbound Logistic Magazine (February 1995), and German Transport News
(in German, January 1995).
- FastShip: In-Transit, In-Stock and Inventory Cost, The
Journal of Commerce, Trade Section, December 16, 1994. The
paper was included in the proceeding of The Economics of Fast Cargo
Ships Conference Proceedings, The international Association of Maritime
Economist and The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers,
Washington D.C., June 1997.
- Defining Performance Measures for an Intermodal
The Journal of
Transportation Research Forum, November 1994 (with P. Stopher, C. Appfel and
others). The paper received the 1994 TRF Intermodal Research Award.
- On-Off Terminal Ship-to-Rail Transfer, ASCE/PIANC Port's '92 Conference Proceedings,
Seattle, July 1992, pp. 108-131.
- On-Off Terminal Ship-to-Rail Transfer and the
Cargo Systems, 7th Terminal Operations Conference Papers, June 1992,
Genoa, Italy, pp. 101-106. PDF
- Intermodal (Rail) Terminal Capacity -- a Stock &
National Science Foundation, Transportation Research Board, Intermodal
Committee, Washington D.C., January 1992.
- The Rise and Fall of Omniport, Cargo
Systems, November 1991, pp. 139-143.
- On Selectivity and Accessibility, Cargo
Systems, June 1991, pp. 44-45. PDF
- Productivity, Capacity and Equity in the Port of San
Juan, WWS/World Wide Shipping, May 1991.
The article was translated into Japanese by Mitsui Corp. and published in
The Journal of
Japan Cargo Handling Mechanization Association, July 1992. PDF
- Planning and Operations of Inland Ports, United Nations, Economic and Social Commission for
Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), a text book (250 pp.), January 1991.
- Overweight Containers: Short and Long Term
Perspectives, WWS/World Wide Shipping,
October 1990, pp. 70 - 73.
- Dual Hoist Cranes -- Feasibility Assessment, WWS/World
Wide Shipping, July 1990, pp. 72 - 74.
- On-Off Dock Terminal Ship-to-Rail Transfer, Maritime
Policy & Management, University of Wales publication,
United Kingdom, Volume 17, July 1990. PDF
- Multi-Dimensional Evaluation Methodology for Port
Projects, WWS/World Wide Shipping, a series of
two articles, April-May 1989, pp. 59 - 62 and June 1989, pp. 29 - 32.
- Evolutionary Trends in Breakbulk Cargo Handling,
WWS/World Wide Shipping, November 1988, pp. 56 - 59.
- On-Off Dock Intermodal Transfer, The Perplexing Case
of Long Beach, WWS/ World Wide Shipping,
September 1988, pp. 46 - 51.
- Strategic Planning for National Port Systems, International Maritime Seminar on Changes in the
World Shipping Environment and Counter Strategies toward the year 2000,
Korea Maritime Institute, Seoul, Korea, July 1988 (45 pages, with Dr. A.
- Prospects for River/Ocean Short Sea Shipping in the
U.S., a Conference Paper & Journal of the Transportation
Research Forum publication (with Drs. A. Hochstein and K.
Horn), June 1988.
- Container on Barge Prospects on the Mississippi River, WWS/World
Ports, February 1987, pp. 25 - 28.
- Strategic Port Planning -- the Global Consideration, a Conference Paper, Ports and Terminals Conference
1987 Publication, sponsored by the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey
and WWS/ World Wide Shipping, July 1987.
- Ports' Strategic Planning - the New Role of Shipping
Lines, WWS/World Ports, June 1986, pp. 71 -
- Capacity Modeling for Container Terminals, WWS/World
Ports, January 1986.
- Container Terminal Productivity and Capacity, a series of two articles, WWS/World Ports,
November 1985, pp. 73 - 75, January 1986, 93 - 95. Part 1 PDF , Part 2 PDF
- Intermodalism, the Case for On-Dock Operations, WWS/World
Ports, March 1984, pp. 78 - 79.
- Container Crane Pricing -- A Fleet Approach, WWS/World
Ports, November 1983, pp. 64 - 66.
- Container Revolution II -- Twinning the Boxes, WWS/World
Ports, May 1983, pp. 33 - 34.
- Several papers were included in the graduate programs
of the Center for Marine Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Cambridge, MA; the Institute of Marine Studies, University of
Washington, Seattle, WA; and Texas A & M University, Galveston, TX.
One paper (on Omniport Houston) served as a
basis for Harvard Business School Case Study. Excerpts of 2 papers were
Intermodal Freight Transportation, ENO Foundation, 1985 and
1995 editions. Media interviews and quotations included in numerous US
and foreign newspapers among them: The
Journal of Commerce, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Oregonian,
USA Today, and
National Ports and Waterways Institute
Washington DC Office
University of New Orleans